Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Past Still Lives On

Nostalgia is a big thing for many people. Between the beginning of this year and today, there must have literally been over a hundred articles written about the 1980s, 90s and the early 2000s posted to the internet.

Here's a confession: I like reading that stuff. I guess I am a nostalgic person too.

However, unlike other people who read and write about the past, I don't believe it's just stored away in memory lane. It's still alive today, for me. And it can be alive for you too, if you choose.

In the age of the internet, it's very easy to live in any decade of your choice, as long as it's not something like the 1880s. My favourite decade happens to be the 90s, and there's plenty of stuff in the style of that decade to choose from out there. What's more is that if you enjoy the old stuff over today's mainstream styles, don't limit yourself to just the old stuff either - plenty of music released today can fit perfectly in an 80s or 90s setting. You just need to be open minded.

My point was, music styles haven't changed so much, really. To make my point clear: here are a few examples of music released in recent years, that a friend of mine thought were retro.

Jeff Marx - You Have More Friends Than You Know
My friend thought it was released in 1990
It was actually released in 2013


LeAnn Rimes - Give
My friend thought it was released in 1997
It was actually released in 2011


Katie Melua - Walls of the World
My friend thought it was released in 1975
It was actually released in 2012


Miley Cyrus - You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
My friend thought it was released in 1980
It was actually released in 2012


Hanne Sørvaag - You're Like a Melody
My friend thought it was released in 1995
It was actually released in 2011


Hailey Rowe - My Boyfriend is Gay
My friend thought it was released in 1999
It was actually released in 2013


Related Posts:

The Culture: What We Can Do About It

When Does Somebody Become Old?