Tuesday, March 4, 2014

6 Ways my High School Graduation was Between the 90s and the 2000s

I graduated from high school in the early 2000s. (Before everyone starts guessing my age, I guess I should also say that I graduated high school shortly after my 16th birthday). With all the memes out there about graduating high school in 1997 or 2006, I guess I should make one about the early 2000s. In general, the time around 2002 or 2003 would share some similarities with both the 'real 2000s' and the 90s. So did my graduation meet these expectations? Let's see.

1a. I had a mobile phone on graduation day. It was big, chunky and useless by today's standards, but it looked cool back then. I could use it to contact friends about our graduation day plans. (2000s)

1b. But that was the first day ever I had a mobile phone that was mine! It was a graduation present from my parents. Phones were only for grown-up kids back then, you see. They were also so expensive that you generally needed to earn your right to one. (90s)

2a. On my graduation day I listened to one song again and again. The singer was Kelly Clarkson. (2000s)

2b. I listened to it on a fairly old CD player. MP3 players weren't common back then, and I had never seen an iPod yet. (90s)

3a. My dad was unwell during the day. Luckily I had the phone described above, so I could keep in touch with my family. It would have spoiled the day even more having to worry about how he was doing all day long. (2000s)

3b. Besides the mobile phone, there was no way to contact my family to know how he was doing. Plus I was only able to phone home a few times anyway, because calls costed so much back then. (90s)

So I guess it was between the 90s and the 2000s. As expected.

By the way, here's that Kelly song: